Energy is essential for communities, and we’re committed to creating a better energy future for our customers and neighbors across the region.
Beyond partnering to support our customers through this difficult time, our mission today is deep decarbonization and greenhouse gas emissions reduction. We were an early leader in addressing climate change, investing billions in renewable resources and energy efficiency for homes and businesses. Now, we are transforming our business to meet the current and future needs of our customers and to deliver on the objectives of Washington’s Clean Energy Transformation Act.
Our objectives include:
Our customers want clean energy and we’re committed to working together to make this a reality. As part of our commitment, we’re:
- Moving closer to coal-free electricity years ahead of schedule with the sale of Colstrip Unit 4, and the closure of Units 1 and 2.
- With our customers, saving 67 billion electric kWh and 600 million natural gas therms through energy efficiency programs.
- Creating a new financial assistance program to distribute millions to customers impacted by COVID-19, and helping customers more easily get bill payment-assistance from existing PSE HELP and LIHEAP funds and additional support.
- Studying battery storage technology in a variety of scenarios, including the ability to provide wind and solar energy storage.
- Leading as the largest utility producer of renewable energy in the Pacific Northwest.
- Innovating to modernize the grid, helping customers save money and energy while improving reliability and reducing PSE’s carbon footprint.
- Helping Washington address transportation, its single largest source of emissions, by investing in electric vehicles and the development of LNG for maritime and commercial transportation.
- Safely operating two hydroelectric power projects. Our plant at Snoqualmie Falls, built in 1898, still operates and provides clean energy to thousands of local homes and businesses.
- Creating ground-breaking renewable energy programs like Green Direct, which provides commercial and municipal customers the ability to purchase 100 percent of their energy from dedicated, local, renewable energy resources.
- We also produce a comprehensive overview of our environmental, social and governance practices, and we are a founding member of an industry-led coalition to measure the impacts of our operations from production to end use.
Innovations in carbon capture, forest management
The Winston Creek Forest Carbon Project is an innovative forest management project by Port Blakely. It seeks to lower greenhouse gas emissions by increasing the biomass of its forest, achieved by extending forest rotation age twenty years.More