Renewable Natural Gas (RNG) is now available for PSE natural gas customers – renters, homeowners, or businesses – who want to further reduce their carbon footprint by replacing a portion of their conventional natural gas use with renewable natural gas.
Our renewable natural gas comes from organic waste matter right here in Washington that’s been transformed and refined into pipeline quality gas and added to the local energy supply on behalf of participating customers.
Renewable Natural Gas
Enroll in our Renewable Natural Gas program, and help accelerate the transition to a clean energy future by directly supporting the development of locally produced renewable natural gas.
Why choose Renewable Natural Gas?
- Become carbon neutral. Add blocks of RNG to reach your carbon reduction goals. You can achieve 100% carbon neutral natural gas usage – or even go beyond net zero carbon emissions – when you combine your participation in Carbon Balance.
- Simple to sign-up. Blocks of RNG start at just $5 per month. There’s no equipment to install or maintain, and you’ll receive a credit on your bill for the portion of conventional natural gas you choose to replace with renewable natural gas.
- Drive the demand. Participating in RNG directly supports the development of locally produced renewable natural gas and drives growth in a cleaner energy supply.
How Renewable Natural Gas works
RNG is voluntary for PSE gas customers, and enrollment is easy.
- Sign up by choosing a block option to be added to your monthly bill. One block of RNG – just $5 per month – is the equivalent of 3.2 therms of conventional natural gas, or about 5% of the average residential customer’s monthly natural gas use.
- You’ll receive a small credit on your bill of approximately $1 per RNG block for the commodity cost of the conventional natural gas that’s been replaced with renewable natural gas.
- You can combine your participation in RNG with blocks of Carbon Balance to achieve 100% carbon neutral natural gas usage, or even go beyond net zero carbon emissions.
- You can cancel your participating in RNG at any time.
Download the full Terms and Conditions.
What is renewable natural gas?
The decomposition of plant and animal material at solid waste landfills, water treatment plants, livestock farms, food production facilities and more produces a biogas primarily composed of methane.
This biogas is then upgraded to pipeline quality for use in place of fossil natural gas.
Where does PSE’s renewable natural gas come from?
Our renewable natural gas is produced by Klickitat Public Utility District at the H.W. Hill Renewable Natural Gas facility in Roosevelt, Wash.
Methane is drawn from a Republic Services landfill, upgraded to pipeline quality, and transported to PSE’s system. The volume of energy produced at Klickitat PUD’s facility is the equivalent of 18 million gallons of gasoline annually.
Have questions about PSE’s RNG program and how to sign up? Energy Advisors are here to help.