Subscribe to solar at no cost, save on your bill
PSE is committed to making clean energy accessible for more of our customers by reducing barriers to participation. Community Solar is an opportunity for income-eligible residential electric customers to share the benefits of 100% local solar energy at no cost. Not only does this option reduce your carbon footprint, it helps lower your energy costs through bill credits.
Join Community Solar now
Be part of a program bringing more local renewable energy into our communities. But act fast–income-eligible shares are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis for qualifying customers.
Why participate in Community Solar?
We’ve partnered with communities and organizations across our service area to build multiple new, local solar energy installations. A portion of shares from every Community Solar site will be available for income-eligible customers to subscribe at no cost. There are three main benefits of enrolling in the income-eligible option of Community Solar:
- It's easy. Self-qualify to receive a subscription of one share in a solar energy site of your choice.
- Save money. There’s no cost to participate. Automatically receive bill credits for the solar generated by your share to help reduce your monthly energy costs.
- No roof required. Whether you own or rent, there’s nothing to install or maintain to share the benefits of local solar.
How do I qualify?
The income-eligible option of Community Solar is available for PSE residential electric customers who receive their own monthly bill and meet the income requirements* per household size as outlined in the below chart. Subscribers participating in the income-eligible option of Community Solar will be required to confirm their eligibility on an annual basis.
No forms or proof of income are required for an income-eligible customer to qualify to receive a subscription of one share in a Community Solar site of their choice at no cost. Customers simply self-qualify during the enrollment process by affirming (online or verbally) that they meet the household income requirements.
*Household average annual income levels are based on 200% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) for 2021.
How it works
Community Solar’s income-eligible option offers qualifying PSE residential electric customers, including renters and homeowners, the opportunity to choose 100% locally generated solar energy by subscribing to shares in a new solar energy installation of their choice at no cost.
As solar sites are constructed, subscriptions will become available for a limited number of shares per site, including a portion of shares from each site reserved for income-eligible customers. When a solar site is fully subscribed, customers can be added to a waitlist for future availability at that site, or they may choose to subscribe to a different site that may be available.
- There are two ways to enroll: online with your PSE account, or call an Energy Advisor at 1-800-562-1482 for assistance.
- You will be asked during the enrollment process to affirm that you meet the household income requirements to receive a subscription of one share in one site of your choice at no cost.
- You will receive one share of Community Solar, which is equal to 1.46kW of solar energy at the site selected for your subscription.
- You will receive bill credits for the solar energy generated by your share that help lower your regular monthly energy costs.
- Monthly bill credits will be fixed based on an average solar generation estimate per site, which may vary based on size and location of the site.
- Bill credits will range from approximately $7 to $11 per month based on the site selected for your subscription and will be automatically added to your monthly bill after the site begins generating solar energy.
- The program is voluntary, and you can cancel at any time.
- Income-eligible subscribers will be required to affirm their eligibility on an annual basis.
Frequently asked questions
Will solar panels be installed on my roof?
No. As we’ve partnered with communities and organizations across our service area to build multiple new, local solar energy installations, the solar panels will be installed on the rooftops of publicly owned buildings and other properties across our service area. As a result, you can share the benefits of 100% local solar energy without having to invest in and install a rooftop solar system on your own. Whether you own or rent, there’s no roof or equipment required to participate.
What is the size and estimated bill credit for my income-eligible share?
One income-eligible share of Community Solar is equal to 1.46kW of solar energy at the site selected for your subscription. Bill credits will be fixed based on an average solar generation estimate per site, ranging from approximately $7 to 11 per month, based on size and location of the site.
How many income-eligible shares I can subscribe to?
Income-eligible customers can qualify to receive a subscription of one share in one Community Solar site of your choice based on current availability.
What if I move or want to cancel my subscription?
There’s no minimum term for the income-eligible option of Community Solar. You can cancel your subscription at any time. If you move to a new location within PSE’s electric service area and notify PSE at least 30 days in advance, we will make our best attempt to transfer your Community Solar income-eligible subscription to your new location.
Have questions about PSE’s Community Solar program and how to subscribe? Energy Advisors are here to help.