Commercial new construction grants
Earn incentives when you build your new commercial buildings
Save up to 100 percent of your cost beyond current energy codes, while incorporating state-of-the-art, energy-efficient equipment and measures. PSE offers an array of new construction incentives. For a look at some of the measures offered view this flyer.
In addition to incentives, PSE can also assist with lowering ongoing operation cost projections for your affordable multifamily new construction project, which in turn could help you get more favorable financing.
To be connected with an Energy Management Engineer (EME) near you, call an Energy Advisor at 1-800-562-1482, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
What you get
The total value of your new construction grant depends on your estimation approach, which a PSE Energy Management Engineer (EME) can help you choose:
Grant value Grant maximum Energy modeled whole building approach Equipment and installation $0.40 per annual kWh and $6.00 per annual therm savings compared to code-baseline or standard practice system. No Maximum EUI performance method Whole building performance $0.40 per annual kWh and $6.00 per annual therm saved, incentive rates increase as savings beyond baseline EUI increase, as measured by 12 months metered consumption No Maximum Lighting power density reduction1 All lighting except residential in-unit
Interior LLLC fixtures and their installation
$0.25 per annual kWh savings, plus an additional $0.10/kWh for installing controls in spaces not required by code. Lighting must be 5% more efficient than the current WSEC.
$75 bonus in addition to the $.25 per kilowatt-hour (kWh) of projected fixture annual energy savings. Up to 100 percent of the cost to build beyond current energy code Prescriptive incentives/rebates Commercial kitchen, laundry and HVAC Standard PSE incentives available for various systems of business sites in construction Contact your PSE representative for details Variable refrigerant flow (commercial office and schools only) $3.00 per square foot of conditioned space Custom approach Energy-efficient equipment that saves energy above WSEC Up to $0.40 per annual kWh and $6.00 per annual therm saved compared to codebaseline or standard practice system, subject to PSE cost-effectiveness standards. Examples include condensing boilers, heat recovery, demand control ventilation, etc. Up to 100 percent of the cost to build beyond current energy code or standard practice Post-occupancy building commissioning Post-occupancy commissioning fees only $0.35/sq. ft. for third-party, post-occupancy building commissioning per current energy code that are served by all of PSE services. For PSE electric only customers, the incentive is $0.25/sq. ft. For PSE gas only customers, the incentive is $0.15/sq. ft. Up to 75 percent of commissioning agent's post-occupancy fees
1TLEDs do not qualify for the NC Lighting Power Density reduction program, and they should be incentivized via PSE’s Lighting To Go program.
In addition to grant savings, PSE can also assist with lowering ongoing operation cost projections for your project, which in turn could help you get more favorable financing rates from potential lenders.
To be connected with an EME near you, call an Energy Advisor at 1-800-562-1482, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
How to apply
Not sure which option is best for you? Submit an application and a PSE energy management engineer (EME) will assist you with the grant process.
General Commercial New Construction Eligibility Requirements: Projects must be within PSE’s electric and/or natural gas service area, must be for commercial or industrial use, must be in the design or construction phase, and must be reviewed by PSE staff before a grant is guaranteed.
If you know which option you’d like to pursue, submit the following in an email along with your application:
Resources Energy modeled whole building approach
- Building must be at least 50,000 square feet with a proposed energy model*
- Must save 10% compared to permitted code
*Some exceptions permitted at PSE’s discretion
- Proposed energy model (follow PSE modeling guidelines)
- Permitted WSEC
- Mechanical, lighting, and architectural building plans
- Narrative of proposed energy efficiency measures that exceed code
- Narrative of any irregularities in energy model
PSE Energy Modeling Guidelines EUI performance method
- Building type must be included on the Department of Commerce target EUI list (see program details)
- Must save 10% compared to the Department of Commerce baseline EUI
- Building types
- Building gross square footage (if mixed use provide SF for each building type)
- List of proposed energy efficiency measures that exceed code
- May not participate in PSE’s Post Occupancy Commissioning Program
EUI Performance Method Program Details Lighting power density reduction
- Lighting must be 5% more efficient than the current WSEC
- All proposed lighting must be included EXCEPT residential in-unit
- TLEDs do not qualify, but can be incentivized via PSE’s Lighting to Go program
- PSE Business Lighting Workbook
- Square footage verification (building plans)
- Proposed fixture cut sheets (must show UL or ETL listing, Power Factor greater than or equal to 0.9, warranty of at least 5 years, and total input wattage)
PSE Business Lighting Workbook Custom approach (non-lighting)
- Equipment must exceed the current WSEC requirements
- Project must meet PSE’s cost-effectiveness standards
- Proposed equipment cost estimate
- Equivalent code required minimum efficiency equipment cost estimate
- Estimated savings if available
- Proposed equipment spec sheet
Examples include condensing boilers, heat recovery, demand control ventilation, high efficiency HVAC, etc.
PSE has additional incentives for multi-family, single family, and manufactured homes. Visit pse.com/rebates/new-construction-grants.
Before you start a project, call an Energy Advisor at 1-800-562-1482, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
To get pre-approved, complete this new construction grant application.
Submit them to PSE in one of two ways:
- E-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Print and mail them to the address shown at the bottom of the application.
A PSE Energy Management Engineer (EME) will review your application and coordinate meetings between PSE and your architect, design team and contractor (if already chosen), as well as a third-party commissioning agent (if needed). Your project's design details are reviewed so PSE can determine your eligibility, make energy efficiency recommendations and estimate your grant value.
For post-occupancy commissioning, your program must be developed and tracked using the following forms:
- Post-occupancy commissioning plan
- Operations and maintenance (O&M) staff training time tracker
- Energy efficiency improvement measure summary
- Facility guide table of contents (for Cx agent use)
- Training plan table of contents (for Cx agent use)
Once a firm energy efficiency improvement plan is reached, you'll execute a grant agreement with PSE and build your project. When construction is completed, an EME will inspect the site to verify energy efficiency gains and finalize the value of your grant.
Then, prepare the following:
- Signed copies of your equipment and labor invoices, with grant-eligible items and quantities circled
- A signed and completed Tax Identification Form (W-9)
- Any other documentation your agreement requires
For post-occupancy commissioning, system and energy details may be submitted using the following forms:
- Air handler unit (AHU), remote terminal unit (RTU), air conditioning (A/C), fan coil unit (FCU) and/or high-performance HVAC
- Boiler plant
- Chiller plant
- Domestic hot water (DHW) plant
- Energy data
- Exhaust fan
- Heat exchanger
- Radiant heating/cooling
- Variable air volume (VAV) boxes
- Template for different/additional system(s)
Submit these documents using one of the estimation approaches above. You don't need to resend your application form.
If you have any questions, call an Energy Advisor at 1-800-562-1482, Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
† A utility data release form authorizes PSE to distribute energy usage and billing information to third parties such as contractors and commissioning agents. Contact a PSE Energy Advisor to verify if this is required for your grant.
For personalized advice, contact an Energy Advisor
Or call, 1-800-562-1482