CACAP program information
What is CACAP?
The Crisis Affected Customer Assistance Program was created to help customers who may be unemployed, partially unemployed, or cannot work due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This program allows customers to receive a one-time credit up to $1,000. The amount received is determined by your average monthly usage from March 2019 to August 2019.
Is the CACAP program for Residential or Small Business customers?
The CACAP program is only available for PSE Residential customers. We are committed to helping our Small Business customers. Please visit the Help for Your Business page, which provides information on Payment Arrangements, the Budget Payment Plan, and other resources.
How will I receive the funds?
Funds will be distributed through a one-time credit to your account.
I see other programs listed, can I apply for these?
Yes, there are multiple assistance programs to help you with your energy bill. For an outline of each one, visit our bill and weatherization assistance page.
If I receive LIHEAP, HELP or both can I qualify for CACAP?
Do I qualify for any other PSE programs?
Yes, you may qualify for PSE HELP and Weatherization Assistance. PSE also has everyday rebates and increased rebates for customer who live in manufactured homes. Learn more at pse.com/rebates.
How do I qualify for CACAP?
Customers that are unemployed, partially unemployed, or unable to work due to the COVID-19 pandemic and meet income and household size requirements can qualify. View a table of the income and household size requirements here.
What does net monthly household income mean for my CACAP application?
For the CACAP application, please provide the current total monthly income for your household after taxes and other authorized deductions. Your net monthly household income should reflect impacts from the COVID-19 pandemic, including job loss and reduced work. (Example: Use net household income for March, 2020.) You must meet the income guidelines to be eligible for CACAP.
What do I need to qualify?
For CACAP, you will need to provide a photo ID, proof of unemployment, and meet the income and household size requirements.
Applying for CACAP
How do I sign-up?
Follow these steps to sign-up for the CACAP program:
- Visit the pse.com/covidhelp
- Gather your documentation (photo identification and proof of reduced income or unemployment).
- Click GET STARTED.
- Sign-in to your PSE account (or click CREATE ONLINE ACCOUNT if you don’t already have one).
- Click "+Request Assistance" on the Energy Assistance portal and follow the instructions to apply.
Can I sign up by phone?
How do I sign up for a PSE account?
It’s easy, follow this link and follow the prompts.
CACAP application documentation
What documents count for work stoppage or reduced hours?
Unemployment letter, an email or letter from your employer, or pay stubs from your employer showing the reduction in hours.
I'm self-employed. How can I document the impact to my income for the CACAP application?
The CACAP program has several options for documenting the impact to your net monthly household income. You can upload an unemployment letter, an email or letter from your employer, or paystubs from before and after impacts to your income. If you don't have this documentation, select "Neither of the above apply to me" in the Pre-Screen section of the CACAP application to attest that your net monthly household income has been impacted by COVID-19. You must meet the income guidelines to be eligible for CACAP.
How do I upload documents for my CACAP application?
You can upload documents as part of your CACAP application if you have applied for Unemployment Insurance or have proof of reduced hours or no employment and proof of identification. Documents are uploaded in Step 3 of the application process – Proof Documents. The following document file types are accepted: doc, docx, jpeg, msg, pdf, png, xls, and xlsx. (Other files types will not work.) To upload your documents:
- Select the file category from the drop-down list.
- Click “Browse”, select the file to be uploaded, and click ok.
- Enter a description of the file. (Example: Unemployment claim)
- Click "+ADD FILE".
- After uploading each file separately, click “SUBMIT” to continue your application.
I am having trouble uploading my documents, what should I do?
- If you exited the Energy Assistance portal, try picking up where you left off by visiting the Bill Payment & Weatherization page and clicking GET STARTED. Scroll down on the Energy Assistance portal to view your in-progress application and click View/Upload to re-try uploading your documents.
- Confirm that the document type that you are uploading is in a format accepted by the Energy Assistance portal. (Accepted document types are listed in the portal.)
- Try using the Chrome or Firefox Internet browser.
- Be sure to scroll or swipe down to the bottom of the screen and hit "Submit" to upload you document(s).
CACAP application status
How long will it take to receive the funds on my PSE account?
PSE will do everything we can to post the funds as quickly as possible to your account, we are also not disconnecting customers at this time.
What do the CACAP application statuses mean?
- Under review = Application is in line to be worked.
- In process = Application is being worked and in line for approval.
- On hold = Application is on hold pending review of supporting documents.
- Approved = Application has been approved. If you provided an email address on your application, you will receive an email confirmation. You can also login to www.pse.com the next day to review your credit amount and you will see your grant amount on your next bill.
- Denied = Your application was denied because your income is over the eligibility guidelines, the income decrease reported is not related to COVID-19, or the application was made for a Commercial account.
HELP and WEATHERIZATION PROGRAMS
What is PSE HELP?
PSE provides qualified customers with bill-payment assistance beyond the Washington state LIHEAP program. You do not need to owe a balance on your PSE bill to apply. You may apply for HELP if you are income-qualified at any time. You may start the application online and make an appointment with your local agency.
What is PSE Weatherization Assistance?
PSE provides qualified customers with free structural improvements and home upgrades like insulation, roof repairs, duct sealing and more. You may qualify for this program if you are over-income for HELP. Contact your local agency to begin the process.